Latest #archaeology Posts
- I got side tracked today and decided to explore offshore islands, in this case the Slipper Island group. Visualising the terrain using available LiDAR got me thinking about the archaeology of the island group. Located 3 kilometres to the east of the Coromandel sits Slipper Island/Whakahau. Whakahau loosely translates to Windy and the current lack of trees leads me to imagine it would be. Several smaller islets (including Penguin Island and Rabbit Island) are found off its southern tip. The archaeology of Slipper Island seems to suggest a concentration of sites on its south and west coasts. Most of the pa sites are to be found in the southern half of the island. Doing a bit more research it seems the island was settled early by Polynesians with a continuous settlement until the late pre-European period, or even the early post-European. Visualising the terrain and history of this beautiful island group has been a rewarding way to procrastinate on a Friday. I hope you have enjoyed it as well.
The LiDAR data was sourced from and licenced by the University of Auckland for re-use under the creative commons attribution 4.0 New Zealand licence. The 2019 imagery was sourced from Google earth pro.
#aotearoa #archaeology #coromandel #history #heritage #lidar #newzealand #nzhistory #nzarchaeology #pacificarchaeology #qgis #slipperisland #whakahau
5 minutes ago
- Today Dr. Dan Sandweiss presented “Climate, Catastrophe, Collapse?” Using Climatic and Cultural History to Understand El Nino’s Role in Ancient Peru!
🇵🇪 The climatic perturbation known as El Niño offers a useful lens for viewing past human behavior in coastal Peru, because 1) extreme events often destroy or damage infrastructure, curtail subsistence production, and bring negative health consequences including death; and 2) the frequency of extreme events has varied through time. Some positive effects of El Niño offer opportunities for mitigation, but on the whole events are negative for most humans in their path. Dan Sandweiss will discuss the stresses and opportunities of El Niño for ancient societies on the Peruvian coast and the relationship between El Niño frequency and cultural change.
The lecture was presented by the Center for Archaeological Sciences, the UGA Laboratory of Archaeology, the Center for Applied Isotope Studies, and the UGA Department of Anthropology.
#ugaarchaeology #archaeology #peru #climate #lecture #uga
19 minutes ago
- So far 2019 has been pretty good so far. I have been volunteering at and active archeaological site up in New Braunfels sorting samples, and having a dog park day with my pup Kerri. And then cuddles with the cat. #TexasLife #archaeology #newbraunfels #dogday #catday
22 minutes ago
- View from the office today. We had some hungry cows staring us down from afar.
1 hour ago
- Reposted from @archaeology_treasures - ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀
Treasure: 👉 Valdaro Lovers - 6,000 BC
Where:📍 #Mantua - #Italy
Family: 👉@europe_treasures | @tesori_italiani⠀ ⠀ ⠀ 🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹 The Lovers of Valdaro, also known as the "Valdaro Lovers," are a pair of human skeletons dated as approximately 6,000 years old. They were discovered by archaeologists at a Neolithic tomb in San Giorgio near Mantua, Italy, in 2007. The two skeletons appear to have died or were interred facing each other with arms around each other, thus reminiscent of a "lovers' embrace". Archaeologist Elena Maria Menotti led the excavation. It is speculated that the pair are a male and female no older than 20 years old at death and approximately 1.57 m (5 ft 2 in) in height.
The male skeleton was found with a flint arrowhead near the neck. The female had a long flint blade along the thigh, plus two flint knives under the pelvis. Osteological examination found no evidence of violent death, no fractures, and no microtrauma, so the most likely explanation is the flint tools were buried along with the people as grave goods. Seven years after their discovery, on 11 April 2014 they were permanently displayed inside a glass case in the National Archaeological Museum of Mantua, museum within the perimeter of the Ducal palace of Mantova. 🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹 ⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀🏛 Share our Wonderful Heritage 🏛
#mantova #hellenic #ellada #archeologia #histoire #loves_monuments #neolithic #historia #archaeologicalmuseum #archaeology #kiss #lovers #history #total_monuments #archeology #sicilia #arqueologia #Archäologie #archeologie #valdaro - #regrann
1 hour ago
- Something a little bit different, went to go see the terracotta warriors earlier this week. Peaked my interest in archaeology once again #newzealand
1 hour ago
- Stonehenge has all the makings of a bucket list destination: history, a dash of mystery, and a prime photo opp. We've got the pictures of Stonehenge that will have you booking a plane ticket - link in bio! @tlpicks courtesy of @dennisstever
2 hours ago